General Maintenance and Repair Technician - 21823BR
General Maintenance and Repair Technician
The General Maintenance and Repair Technician is responsible for monitoring facility equipment, property structures and campus grounds, independently assessing mechanical or safety issues, and conducting repairs and general preventative maintenance. This position performs a variety of maintenance duties in relation to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry, and construction to support the facilities and equipment that the KU Edwards Campus including Jayhawk Central. This position provides a variety of services for faculty, staff, students, community leaders and outside organizations who use the facilities and resources of the campus. This position serves as the main point of contact during the shift for the tenants of Jayhawk Central, responding quickly and efficiently to reports of mechanical failures.
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 96 hours of sick leave per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical and dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
This position is eligible for either a 4-day or 5-day work schedule.
- Maintains the appearance of the building and grounds.
- In coordination with the supervisor, monitors and performs specific preventative maintenance and repairs to ensure that all mechanical systems are in good working order, such as HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.
- Independently installs, operates, monitors, repairs and maintains all mechanical systems following established procedures.
- Plays a key role in snow removal, removing snow from sidewalks, entry ways, etc. Applies ice melt (both granular and liquid) to all appropriate surfaces. Places appropriate signage when necessary (i.e.- slippery when wet).
- Completes the necessary paperwork associated with projects.
- Maintains tools and keeps work area clean. Ensures tools are ready for use and always wears protective equipment while performing tasks.
- Performs exterior landscaping duties (pull weeds, trim bushes and trees, plant, and clean up sidewalks)
- Reviews assigned work orders and completes tasks in a timely manner. Updates information in system when task is complete.
- Communicates effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, staff, faculty and general public.
- In coordination with campus leadership, conducts emergency campus drills and checks emergency equipment to ensure in working order.
- Conducts weekly checks at Jayhawk Central to ensure equipment and systems are in working order and custodial staff has necessary supplies.
- Updates offices, spaces as needed when new staff are hired.
- Coordinates with Manager, Campus Events to ensure set up and other resources are complete for both external and internal events
- Sets up and configures classrooms for KU classes
- Conducts routine checks of classrooms to confirm furniture and equipment are in working order
- Provides equipment and set up as requested by internal or external clients for day-of needs
- Assists with access to space for external guests
- Must be willing to work a varied shift (days, nights and weekends.) This position is eligible for a $0.40/hour shift differential.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- High school diploma or GED and two years experience in any skilled crafts areas OR Associate degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for required experience.
- Experience using basic power tools, hand tools, and cleaning equipment as outlined in application materials.
- Ability to apply reason to solve problems independently, as evidenced in application materials and previous experience.
- Excellent attention to detail, as evidenced in application materials.
- Experience working with diverse groups as outlined in application materials.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision as outlined in application materials.
- Valid Driver's License (verified at time of interview or before the offer has been extended).
- Experience with CMMS system for work orders.
- Experience with Microsoft suite.
- Experience working in educational facility.
- One year or preventative equipment maintenance experience.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover Letter
- 3 professional references
Application review begins Monday, April 18th, 2022 and will continue until of pool of qualified applicants is received.