General Maintenance Repair Tec - 20456BR
General Maintenance Repair Tec
If you are looking for a rewarding and dynamic career look no farther than the University of Kansas. KU offers great benefits to employees with paid vacation & sick leave, paid holidays, retirement program, medical & dental insurance as well as life insurance. KU also offers educational opportunities for employees. KU is a great place to work!
Work Schedule is 7:30am-4pm Monday to Friday
- Loads and unloads trucks, drives trucks and vans. Picks up and delivers office furniture within and between buildings; percussion equipment and other band instruments for University Band Department; mattresses, dressers, and other residential room furniture; janitorial supplies to residence halls and scholarship halls; and undergraduate catalogs and time tables. May load pianos and lab equipment. Loads, transports, sets up and tears down chairs, tables, staging and other equipment for special events.
- Removes broken or obsolete furniture or equipment, such as typewriters, computers, desks, chairs, etc.
- Uses Geni lift and scaffolding.
- Assembles furniture, Herman Miller office systems, bunk beds for residential rooms, and special orders, following the specifications of the manufacturer and shop supervisor.
- Disposes of broken or obsolete furniture. Installs and removes bulletin boards, chalkboards, and whiteboards.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains large tables, tablet arm chairs, table tops, and desks. Repairs office equipment and furniture such as file cabinets, desks, Herman Miller and other wall partitions, chairs and computer work stations.
- Operates hand and power tools and equipment as necessary on work sites.
- Repairs shop equipment such as two and four wheel moving dollies, pallet jacks and lifts on the moving truck.
- Assists electric shop with light bulb and ballast wiring changes (with required training and tools).
- Assists HVAC technicians in performing seasonal maintenance on large chillers, cooling towers, window a/c units and other related equipment.
- Acts as lead worker in the absence of supervisor.
- Demonstrates safe lifting methods and other procedures to others.
- Reports materials usages and anticipated early or late completions of work in progress.
- Cleans work sites and tools.
- Completes necessary paperwork associated with assigned projects.
- Assists with snow/ice removal and surface treatment as needed.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation and items greater than 100 pounds with assistance.
- Work from high scaffolds and ladders, confined spaces.
- Work in temperature extremes, both hot and cold inside and outside.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Report to work during periods of inclement weather as declared.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at the time of hire and throughout the term of employment.
- Must enter work order information digitally.
- NOTE: this position is physically demanding requiring moderate physical exertion.
- High School diploma or GED equivalency.
- Must have a valid driver’s license by the time of hire and throughout the term of employment.
- Two years of experience in a skilled craft area. Associate’s degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Knowledge of the standard equipment for moving of office furniture, lab equipment, pianos etc.
- Experience driving 1-ton box trucks with lift and pickup truck.
- Experience in building of office furniture, bunk beds, and Herman Miller office Systems.
- Knowledge of computer programs, Word, Maximo and Excel.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review of applications will begin Monday, October 25, 2021 and continues until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.