General Maintenance Worker - 12281BR
General Maintenance Worker
Facilities include the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center (“ASRFC”), opened in September 2003 and expanded in 2008, several outside spaces, and Robinson Center. The ASRFC is comprised of many different activity spaces: 16,000 square feet of cardiovascular resistance training and free weight equipment, six indoor basketball/volleyball courts, a three-lane suspended jogging track, an aerobics studio, a martial arts studio, four racquetball courts, one squash court, dasher board system multipurpose gym, golf simulator, a 42-foot climbing wall and bouldering wall, two outdoor basketball courts, conference room, and a multimedia room. Outdoor facilities include: 13 acres of grass field spaces at the Shenk Recreational Sports Complex, the Adams Outdoor Education Center (challenge course), one artificial turf field (Central Field), four lighted sand volleyball courts, and four lighted tennis courts. KU Recreation Services utilizes the Robinson Center for its aquatic activities.
Grounds Maintenance 35%
- Clean, repair, maintain, and inventory all equipment and tools used to maintain the grounds at all of KU Recreation Services outdoor facilities.
- Maintain grounds at the Shenk Sports Complex by seeding, aerating, fertilizing, mowing, trimming trees and shrubs, collecting trash, and debris, as well as cleaning restrooms.
- Identify, repair, and maintain ground cover of recreational fields so they are clear of hazardous items, ruts, holes, and other items that would cause harm to participants and staff.
- Repair and maintain the irrigation systems at the Shenk Sports Complex.
- Repair and maintain sports equipment at the Sand Volleyball and Tennis Court Complex
- Maintain grounds adjacent to ASRFC by weeding flower beds, collecting trash, removing dirt from sidewalks, removing chalk from the plaza and sidewalks, removing snow & ice from sidewalks, plaza, parking areas, front doors and emergency access doors.
- Maintain grounds at the Adams Campus Challenge Course as requested by the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Assistant Director of Facilities/Outdoor Pursuits. Work may include mowing grass fields & trails along gravel roads, and trim trees, and shrubs.
- Maintain grounds at the Central District turf field to include maintenance and upkeep of the turf, cleaning of debris inside perimeter of the turf field, cleanliness of the restrooms and trash receptacles.
- Paint, clean, and maintain all exterior and interior doors, walls, entrances, exits, windows, plaza area and steps, and indoor/outdoor handrails.
- Repair and maintain defective or worn parts related to cardiovascular, free weight, and selectorized weight equipment.
- Repair and maintain lamps/lights and ballasts in the building and/or other KURS facility spaces.
- Install, repair, and maintain facility and/or sports equipment (including but not limited to, scoreboards, divider curtains, projection screens, exercise equipment, furniture etc...).
- Repair and maintain high use areas such as restrooms and locker rooms, to include plumbing, lavatory repair, water fountain repairs.
- Maintain a working knowledge and willingness to learn maintenance repair strategies and techniques for a variety of sports/exercise equipment.
- Assist in the purchase of tools and equipment used for work duties.
- Check roof drains on a weekly basis, and check proper functionality and efficiency of mechanical rooms throughout the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
- Study and possess reasonable knowledge of safety codes and laws for chemicals, usage of equipment, and employee safety. Assist with the maintenance of vehicles, including but not limited to, trucks, gators, tractors, etc.
- Complete tasks as assigned by Supervisor/Comply with HREO rules and regulations.
- Operate, clean, store, maintain, and inventory the following pieces of equipment: tractor, zero turn mowers, sprayer, aerator, slit and broadcast seeders, chain saw, string trimmer, advance avenger auto-scrubber, utility vehicle, power washer, various hand and power tools, utility vehicles, trucks, etc.
- Operate, clean, and store after use: trailer (which hauls a tractor, front deck mower, and various pieces of equipment/debris), 30-50 horsepower tractor with blade, electric shop-vacuum, vacuum, and power blowers, Genie lift, mechanical lifts and pulleys, various ladders, portable generator, various hand and power tools.
- Paint, maintain, and repair outdoor sport equipment (soccer goals, backboards, handrails, etc...).
- Repair and maintain challenge course equipment and obstacles.
- This position may work with and/or instruct students at different times during the workday.
- This position is responsible for communicating any maintenance needs for all and indoor/outdoor facilities.
- High School Diploma/GED equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License at the time of appointment.
- Must complete CPR/AED training provided by Recreation Services at no cost to the employee within 3 months of start date.
- Lift 50lbs or more with or without accommodation.
- Work in a variety of environments, including: high elevations (between 10 and 45 feet), confined spaces, and extremes temperature (below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees).
- Six (6) months skilled trade experience in multipurpose venue settings.
- One year of experience in grounds and/or irrigation.
- Demonstrated Experience/Knowledge in one or more of the following trades: plumbing, carpentry, electrical and/or painting.
- Ability to perform physical tasks consistent with the working duties, either with or without accommodation.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend, communicate, and complete skilled and semi-skilled work from oral and written instruction.
- Completion of an associate’s degree or higher-level of education in horticulture or related field.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Initial review of applications begin on July 10, 2018. The position will close for applications on July 22, 2018.