Graduate Assistant - 11629BR
The Graduate Assistant will primarily assist the student services team in the AAP with orientation program planning and implementation, as well as training of student orientation staff. The GA will also collaborate with AAP staff in developing programs to foster holistic development in support of students’ academic, social, and cultural transition to life in Lawrence and at KU.
- Assist with the development and planning of the AAP programs for fall, spring, and summer International Student Orientations.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, and training of AAP student orientation staff.
- Assist in recruitment, selection, training, and supervision of Peer Mentors.
- Provide individual advising (academic, acculturation, general wellness) to AAP students.
- Opportunities to co-teach UNIV 101, UNIV 102, UNIV 103, or UNIV 104
- Assist with the pre-arrival processes including gathering flight information, arranging airport transfers, and organizing the airport welcome for students.
- Assist in the development and promotion of programs and activities aimed to increase student success, acculturation, and retention.
- Participate in AAP staff meetings and training.
- Assume special assignments and other duties as designated by the Managing Director, Director, Student Services Director, or Assistant Director, Student Services in the KUAAP.
- Enrollment in KU for 2018-2019 as a graduate student in good standing.
- Must be available to work hours that complement the work schedule of current staff and peak times in the AAP.
- Previous experience with orientation or related student affairs programs.
- Previous experience working with international students or experience living and/or working abroad.
- Previous experience with program planning.
- Demonstrated ability to organize information and schedule activities.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.