Greenhouse Manager - 21873BR
25% The manager will be responsible for providing and/or supervising daily plant care of research and teaching collections. This includes: watering, weeding, fertilizing, transplanting, propagating, diagnosing pest problems, implementing cultural, biological and chemical pest control, maintaining specialized growth media and sourcing a plant teaching collection housed in both the West Campus and Haworth Hall greenhouses and in five native/cultivated perennial planting beds in front of Haworth Hall. This also includes indirect responsibility for research collections through collaboration with research faculty and graduate students.
15% The manager will be responsible for supervising student employees. This includes: hiring, scheduling, training, and supervising part time student employees in the horticultural care of teaching and research collections and facility maintenance. In addition, the manager will be responsible for all greenhouse staff adhering to all EPA pesticide safety regulations, KUEHS safety guidelines and training at both facilities.
10% The manager will be responsible for consulting with faculty and graduate student researchers on project planning, project needs, and budget development.
5% The manager will be responsible for administrative paperwork, administrative meetings, and facility repair communications.
5% The manager will be expected to attend professional conference/seminars to maintain and advance greenhouse management skills.
5% The manager will be responsible for periodic outreach, providing 5-10 tours a year, including hosting visiting youth groups.
The manager will dedicate no more than 10% of their total time to the West Campus Greenhouse, maintaining 90% of their time for the Haworth Hall Greenhouse and gardens.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Perform work both inside (office and greenhouse spaces) and outside (garden spaces).
- Drive between KU Main and West campus using a university vehicle.
- Be exposed to environmental factors including, but not limited to hot or cold weather, high humidity, exposure to noise and allergens.
- Climb ladders, lift and move items that weigh up to 50 pounds, perform twisting, pushing, pulling movements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field.
- At least one year of prior experience in greenhouse operations as evidenced by application materials.
- Kansas Certified Pesticide Applicator or certification within 60 days of position start date.
- At least one year of prior experience in greenhouse management.
- Knowledge of greenhouse and associated equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of plant propagation, plant care, and cultivation.
- Knowledge in the use of soils, fertilizers, and soil amendments.
- Knowledge of current disease and pest control practices including disease and pest identification, and appropriate chemical or biological controls.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with a diverse university community.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, cultural and linguistic differences.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review of applications will begin on May 2nd, 2022 and will continue until a qualified applicant pool has been identified.