HVAC Skilled Trades Supervisor - 18891BR
HVAC Skilled Trades Supervisor
KU’s Facilities Services department supports KU's mission of learning, scholarship, and creative endeavor by operating and maintaining the University's physical plant and grounds. This full-time position within the Facilities Services department, supervises the resources and staff who provide on-site HVAC repair and maintenance services for all assigned university buildings. The supervisor plans, directs and oversees all work activities for supervisors, lead workers, and/or maintenance technicians, which follow a daily and seasonal plan for maintenance services. The supervisor is also responsible for providing staff training and on-site assistance as needed.
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 96 hours of sick leave earned annually, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
KU is a great place to work!
7:30am-4:00pm, Monday to Friday with overtime and after hours call back as needed. Facilities also offers a four day 10 hour work week option Monday-Thursday or Tuesday to Friday.
10% - Project/Modification work – Oversee new project proposals and documents from the KU and/or commercial engineering design team to ensure industry best practices for efficiency, reliability and maintainability. Review, coordinate and oversee new minor HVAC modification projects including but not limited to, replacements, refurbishments, and new installations.
20% - Perform and/or oversee necessary cost accounting, time reporting, work order management and purchasing activities to ensure necessary data is available to make effective data-driven decisions for our organization.
10% - Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with customers, staff, peer leadership and university leadership as activities relate to HVAC systems. Ensure affected customers are appropriately informed of activities that impact their operations.
5% - Oversee and/or perform all new hire and/or termination activities for the unit.
5% - Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or completion of a GED equivalency.
- Five (5) years of experience in HVAC maintenance work. Associate degree or vocational school certification may be substituted for two years of the required maintenance experience.
- Three (3) years of experience as an HVAC supervisor or lead worker.
- Experience in HVAC building automation system(s) as evidenced in application materials.
- Experience using MS Office, including Outlook and Excel.
- EPA 608 CFC Certification for refrigerants or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Reach, grasp, lift, carry, and place moderately heavy loads frequently, and heavy loads occasionally (50 lbs.) with or without accommodation.
- Work in temperature extremes, both hot and cold inside and outdoors.
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather.
- Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed.
- Work planned and unplanned overtime as needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license by the time of hire and maintain that license throughout employment.
- Experience managing HVAC building automation systems – preferably Johnson Controls Metasys systems.
- Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) experience – preferably IBM Maximo.
- Knowledge of safety measures and occupational hazards of the trades.
- Experience working in a large university/college maintenance operation or multi-building operation.
- Experience working with or in plumbing, sheet metal, and/or electrical trades.
- College degree in Mechanical engineering or related.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Application review will begin on April 26th and continue until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.