**Internal Only** -- Associate Dean / Full Professor - 20356BR
**Internal Only** -- Associate Dean / Full Professor
The Associate Dean will hold a 0.75 FTE-administrative appointment in the College. In collaboration with the Dean, the Associate Dean will offer primary support for the Social and Behavioral Sciences within the College. Specific unit assignments to be determined upon hire based on expertise. The remaining 0.25 FTE of the appointment will be in the individual’s academic departmental appointment during the academic year.
The Associate Dean is appointed by and reports to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This appointment serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Term of service is for 4.5 years through June 30, 2026.
The responsibilities of the Associate Dean include the following:
- Providing effective liaison between the Dean and chairpersons/directors of assigned units. Chairpersons/directors of the assigned units will report to the Associate Dean.
- Fostering academic excellence in assigned units and exploring innovative approaches to liberal arts and sciences;
- Being an effective advocate for the role of the liberal arts and sciences in the formulation of institutional and public policy;
- Assisting the Dean in facilitation of the recruitment, development, hiring, and retention of outstanding and diverse College faculty in which women and minorities are fully represented;
- Assisting in the recruitment of outstanding undergraduate and graduate students, recognizing their importance in the successful development of teaching and research programs of the highest quality;
- Providing leadership in maintaining the vigor of graduate studies and research programs, with active involvement in seeking both internal and external resources;
- A commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging for faculty, staff and students in the Dean’s office and throughout the College;
- Assisting the Dean in providing programs consistent with the needs of students and society, evaluating and reviewing the effectiveness of programs, and anticipating and planning for future development of such programs;
- Assisting the Dean in fostering effective relationships between College academic programs and those of other schools of the University, including committee service;
- Assisting the Dean in formulating, defending, and managing efficiently and fairly the budget of the College, with the aim of (a) securing resources for support of assigned units, and (b) of allocating these resources in accordance with the best interest of the College;
- Assisting the Dean in activities related to fundraising through the KU Endowment Association; and,
- Other duties, as assigned by the Dean, to ensure efficient operation of the College
10% - Teaching/Advising
- Teach one regularly assigned course per year.
- Other course releases earned or funded through external sources should be considered in determining the number of courses needed to meet the teaching requirement.
- Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings and research.
- Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
- Serve committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
- Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
- Provide general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and to the profession.
Applicant for the position must have:
- A position as a tenured full professor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences;
- A record of excellence in scholarship and a commitment to a liberal education;
- Established and active ability to secure external research funding from various sources;
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership in a comprehensive university;
- Demonstrated evidence of sensitivity and commitment to faculty; and, to student concerns and interests; and
- Demonstrated expertise in student, staff and faculty development.
- Demonstrated administrative and budgetary experience based in leading a unit and holding primary responsibility for its activities and execution (e.g., chair/director of a program, center, institute, department, or school);
- Demonstrated leadership experience in departmental, College, or University activities dealing with academic and administrative matters.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete online application includes the following materials: (1) a cover letter that outlines one’s goals, ideas, and priorities for advancing academics, research, and administration of the College and (2) an updated curriculum vitae. Only complete applications will be considered.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following question at the time of application. The response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
- Describe your experiences working with people from diverse backgrounds and explain how those experiences reflect your commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.