IT Network Engineer - 22105BR
IT Network Engineer
Under moderate supervision, the IT Network Engineers will participate in large scale IT related projects both internal and external to KU Information Technology (KU IT), with a focus on networking. The IT Network Engineers will participate in the implementation of core IT Infrastructure. The IT Network Engineers will participate in large scale IT planning and operations. The ideal candidate shall be well organized, set priorities, communicate clearly, and meet aggressive timelines.
This position will participate in an on-call rotation.
Serves as support for network problems. Utilizes network management tools and monitoring systems to recognize potential problem areas. Recommends solutions to address recurring problems.
15% Implementation of network infrastructure projects:
Works in collaboration with other networking personnel, customers, and vendors to implement projects to address future network infrastructure, service, and security needs.
Implements configuration changes necessary to address operational management of network infrastructure, such as monitoring, capacity management, software management, and DNS, DHCP, and IP address management.
15% Network documentation and oversight:
Maintains data network documentation, network management systems, and status reports. Ensures network procedures and documentation standards are followed. Works with other staff to maintain agency standards.
5% Other duties as assigned
This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
The IT Senior Engineer is responsible for complying with departmental policy relating to security. This includes key security, vehicle security, controlling access to secure areas and data security. In addition, the IT Senior Engineer:
- Handles sensitive data - This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
- Based on the assigned security profile for this position, a more extensive background check may be required.
- High School Diploma/ GED and five years of relevant professional experience or an Associate degree and three years of relevant professional experience or a Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant professional experience. (Student hourly work qualifies as relevant professional experience)
- One year of experience with installation, configuration, and problem diagnosis.
- One year of network-related experience including experience configuring switches and Routers.
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and through writing as demonstrated by application materials and possible interview.
- Experience designing and maintaining advanced networking and telecommunications solutions.
- Experience with Enterprise Architecture, developing models, roadmaps, strategic planning.
- Experience with VPN and IPSec tunnel technology.
- Firewall management experience
- Wireless networking skills
- Experience managing DNS, DHCP and IP address space
- Network orchestration experience
- Programming skills – python preferred
- Possession of any of the following preferred network certifications:
- Aruba professional level certifications – ACMP, ACDP, ACCP, ACSP, ACEAP
- Juniper professional level certifications – JNCIP
- Cisco professional level certifications – CCNP
- Or comparable network certifications
Additional Candidate Instructions
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application review will begin Monday, May 23rd, 2022 and will remain open until a qualified pool of candidates has been identified.