**Internal Only**Chairperson & Prof/Assoc Prof - Philosophy Department
This position will have an academic-year salary, plus an administrative supplement and summer salary, as determined by the Dean of the College.
The term of the appointment will be for approximately five years, with possibility of renewal pending satisfactory performance. The start date is July 1, 2024.
1. Provides oversight and leadership for all unit activities.
2. Provides oversight and leadership of diversity, equity, inclusion unit initiatives and activities.
3. Administers the undergraduate and graduate academic programs of the unit.
4. Reviews and modifies, in consultation with unit governance and faculty, the long-range planning for the unit.
5. Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters.
6. Supervises and reviews the unit’s faculty and professional, academic, and University support staff, and supports faculty and staff development.
7. Seeks enhancement of all unit resources by actively seeking external funding.
8. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the unit and other units across the College and University, as well as with agencies outside the University, governmental, public, or private.
9. Develops long-term planning for future leadership by cultivating/mentoring future faculty members.
10. Executes College and University policy in the unit effectively.
11. Represents the unit and reports to CLAS, and represents the unit to other University entities.
Faculty Member (0.5 FTE)
20% Teaching/Advising1. Teaches courses in their field of specialty.
2. Advises students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings.
3. Supervises graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
4. Serves on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
20% Research1. Engages in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
10% Service1. Provides general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and the profession.
1. Tenured appointment with the rank of Full Professor or Associate Professor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
2. Demonstrated ability to serve as an academic leader and team builder, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the unit and its affiliated units.
3. Teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and commitment to teaching excellence.
4. Strong record of scholarly achievement, as evidenced by an established program of research with the promise of continued productivity.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations, maintaining civility and respect among faculty, staff, and students.
- Rank of Full Professor.
- Excellence in administrative and management skills.
- Commitment to interdisciplinary and international scope in teaching, research, and service.
- Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
- Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application package submitted online will including the following items:
- A cover letter;
- An up-to-date CV; and
- The names and emails for 3 professional references.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following question at the time of application. The response must be within 4,000 characters or less:
- Describe your experiences working with people from diverse backgrounds, and explain how those experiences reflect your commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.