KU Security Officer - Lawrence Campus - 20600BR
KU Security Officer - Lawrence Campus
|The University of Kansas, is recruiting for full-time Security Officers to join our team at the Main Campus in Lawrence, KS to provide extended security coverage. Multiple shifts are available. Individuals may be assigned a shift to cover weekend, evenings, and/or holidays on a rotating schedule. |
Our Security Officers are responsible for working with the campus community to maintain a safe and secure environment by securing locks, patrolling, reporting security, maintenance & code compliance problems, supporting the Police Department with jurisdiction in emergencies & major events. Security Officers are required to work all KU home football games and have options to work for other athletic events as needed.
KU offers a full benefits package including health and life insurance, retirement, dental, vision and more. Positions begin at $14.42 - $15.71 per hour commensurate with experience. A one percent (1%) pay raise is provided upon successful completion of the probationary period and shift differential is offered at .50/hr for work hours between 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. Promotional opportunities are available.
20% - Safeguard the University facilities, grounds, and occupants against hazards, safety issues and/or damage. Detect audible alarms such as fire, intrusion or emergency situations and rapidly report available information from alarm panels. Must be able to distinguish multi-colored indicator lights and read locators. Take appropriate action for problem areas or unsafe conditions. Inspect University buildings with an eye toward utility conservation. Turn off unnecessary lights, electrical equipment, water faucets, etc. Report criminal or suspicious activity to proper authorities as activity is discovered. Take prompt action to eliminate immediate danger to life or property.
15% - Respond to emergency situations and work special assignments as directed. Assist in building access for emergency personnel or evacuation when necessary, especially in case of fire/fire alarms or other disasters. Assist in perimeter control, when necessary, which may involve exposure to extreme weather conditions and standing without the chance for relief/breaks for extended periods of time. Report life threatening conditions and/or property loss/damage to proper authorities. Provide assistance in accordance with training, common sense and/or stand by until help arrives.
10% - Complete and submit activity logs, maintenance reports and timesheets in accordance with departmental procedures and deadlines. Record, log and report information such as security lapses, unauthorized persons and other related activities according to protocol.
5% - Remain knowledgeable of state fire codes, University safety guidelines and policies governing University buildings. Attend, aid and/or participate in training as required by the supervisor or department. Assist in section orientation for new personnel as required. May conduct training of new security officers, submitting progress reports to the supervisor.
5% - Maintain proper care and control of department equipment and vehicle. Utilize vehicle in accordance with traffic ordinances and department policy. Use proper radio techniques and procedures. Keep all issued equipment readily available and in good condition reporting repair/replacement needs to supervisor.
5% - Perform security responsibilities at special events including, but not limited to, football games and other athletic or University events.
5% - Establish and maintain professional contact with University employees, visitors, law enforcement officers and department personnel.
- U.S. citizen or non-U.S. citizen legally able to perform the work in or for the United States. (NOTE: Naturalized U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens legally able to perform work in or for the U.S. must provide appropriate official documentation verifying work eligibility.)
- Free of any diversions for or convictions of felonies and free of serious misdemeanors.
- Must be in compliance with the KU Public Safety Office policies and procedures regarding intentional body alterations. For additional information, contact Sandy Patchen at 785-864-5901.
- Must process and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must pass a thorough background check.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions and not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of self or others.
- Long periods of standing, walking, and maneuvering stairs in various weather conditions.
- Ability to lift, carry, grasp and have fine motor skills to operate keys and locking apparatus.
- Visual acuity with or without correction to perform security checks and monitor review.
- Experience in a post-assigned security position.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer (as evidenced in resume or cover letter).
Additional Candidate Instructions
- The primary work assignment of this position is at the Lawrence campus.
- Application review will begin November 14, 2021 and will continue as applications are submitted.
Specific Detailed Applications Instructions for this position:
- It is required that you attach a cover letter and a resume with the online application. You will be asked to upload these documents on the first pages of the application. Applications will not be processed without these documents