Landscape Worker - 11612BR
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 72 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities.
KU is a great place to work!
35% - General: Plants flower-beds. Rakes leaves. Rakes grass, removes weeds from flower-beds, and other building approaches. Hand waters areas such as flower-beds. Pick-up trash. Applies chemical fertilizers and pest controls to flower-beds, shrubs and tree plantings. Digs holes, moves loads and otherwise assists in the planting of trees and shrubs. Prunes trees and shrubs. Loads and transports plants, trees and shrubs to installation sites using trucks, tractors and other equipment. Operates leaf vacuums. Operates snow blowers. Grades and levels planting sites using hand and power tools, and tractors. Removes snow and ice from sidewalks, steps and stairs and ramp approaches to buildings. Performs detailed weed and trash cleaning and plant maintenance of specific areas on a routine or as assigned basis.
10% - Related: completes necessary paper work and record keeping. Informs supervisor of status of work projects. Adjusts ventilation on plants. Weeds, cleans, prunes plant materials and otherwise maintains tree/shrub/plant nursery. Performs minor equipment maintenance projects as assigned.
5% - Performs other related work as assigned.
2. Valid driver’s license by time of hire.
- Reach, grasp, carry, lift and place heavy loads of 50 or more pounds occasionally with or without accommodation.
- Work in extreme weather conditions, both hot and cold.
- Work overtime and respond to after-hours emergency as necessary.
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather.
- Six months of experience in landscape and/or horticultural work.
- Working knowledge of common hand tools and standard equipment used in outdoor maintenance.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Horticultural or grounds maintenance experience.
- Knowledge of safety procedures while working around mechanized construction and maintenance equipment.
- Experience maintaining small motor equipment.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Complete the online application at http://employment.ku.edu/staff/11612BR, include the names and contact information to three references.