Landscape Worker - 22469BR
If you are looking for a rewarding and dynamic career look no farther than the University of Kansas. KU offers great benefits to employees with paid vacation & sick leave, paid holidays, retirement program, medical & dental insurance as well as life insurance. KU also offers educational opportunities for employees.
KU is a great place to work!
Schedule: Monday to Friday 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM
- Mows turf areas with string trimmers, hand push, and riding mowers.
- Prepares areas by removing trash and weeds, arranging flower-bed edges, sidewalks, etc.
- Assists in irrigation of turf.
- Assists in the application of chemical fertilizers, and pest control agents.
- Prepares mowers in-field, and in-shop by performing minor maintenance such as changing oil, sparkplugs, replacing belts, sharpening blades, etc.
- Operates weed-eaters, and edgers in finish work on turf prior to and after mowing.
- Assists in the laying of sod.
- Operates tractors and other machinery as well as performs hand work in the preparation of seed beds for the seeding of turf areas.
- Assists in the seeding of turf.
- Keeps simple records associated with the maintenance of equipment and turf areas.
- Maintains flowerbeds by planting, raking, removing weeds, and watering.
- Applies chemical fertilizers and pest controls to flowerbeds, shrubs, and tree plantings.
- Digs holes, moves loads and assists in the planting of trees and shrubs.
- Prunes trees and shrubs.
- Loads and transports plants, trees and shrubs to installation sites using trucks, tractors, and other equipment. Operates leaf vacuums.
- Grades and levels planting sites using hand and power tools, and tractors.
- Removes snow and ice from sidewalks, steps and stairs and ramp approaches to buildings using snow blower and other equipment.
- Performs detailed weed and trash cleaning and plant maintenance of specific areas on a routine or as assigned basis.
- Completes necessary paperwork and record keeping.
- Informs supervisor of status of work projects.
- Adjusts ventilation on plants.
- Performs minor equipment maintenance projects as assigned.
- Reach, grasp, lift, carry, and place moderately heavy loads frequently, and heavy loads occasionally (50 lbs) with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work in temperature extremes, both hot and cold - typically outdoors.
- Work overtime and respond to after-hours emergencies as necessary.
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather.
- Must enter work order information digitally.
- Must have a valid driver's license at the time of hire and throughout the term of employment.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a valid driver’s license by the time of hire and throughout the term of employment.
- Six months of experience in landscape, grounds, crop production and/or horticultural maintenance.
- Working knowledge of standard equipment used in landscape and grounds maintenance.
- Experience maintaining small motor equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of safety procedures while working around mechanized construction and maintenance equipment.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Application review will begin on June 25th and continue until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.