Librarian for Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, & Caribbean - 21965BR
Librarian for Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, & Caribbean
The Librarian for Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, and Caribbean studies serves on a team of area studies librarians and student assistants within the Libraries' International Collections (IC) department. The position reports to Head of IC, who in turn reports to the Associate Dean of Distinctive Collections. The Librarian for Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, and Caribbean studies provides user-focused service and subject expertise for the interdisciplinary field of Latin American studies and Iberian literature and works with faculty and staff in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Center for Latin American Studies, and other departments or schools that offer a program or courses related to the subject area.
The University of Kansas Libraries support a safe and inclusive environment for all members of our diverse communities at KU. We are committed to building a diverse and pluralistic workforce and strongly encourage applications from diverse candidates. This position will demonstrate a commitment to advancing diversity efforts in the Libraries and contributes to an inclusive environment.
This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position. Rank considerations are based on professional performance, research, and service experience sufficient to qualify for appointment at the rank of Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian.
See the Libraries Criteria for Academic Ranks document: http://policy.ku.edu/libraries/criteria-academic-ranks-library-faculty
Additional information about the Libraries promotion and tenure procedures can be found at the following website: http://policy.ku.edu/libraries/promotion-and-tenure-procedures-faculty-university-kansas-libraries
Ways to Catch our Eye
- You have examples of effective communication through supporting liaison work and service.
- You use analytical thinking skills in collection development and grant writing.
- You have examples of using effective teaching strategies and successful collaboration in providing instructional support.
- You are an effective problem-solver in reference work.
- You have examples of using time-management skills for professional productivity and research output.
- Serves as liaison to the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies and the Department of Spanish and Portuguese; works with faculty in other disciplines or programs related to Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, & Caribbean Studies.
- Builds, maintains, and assesses the collection of materials related to Spanish, Portuguese, Latin America, and the Caribbean; selects materials in all formats, media-types, languages of the region, and relevant subject areas; manages a collection budget; monitors and reviews approval plans; and cooperates with other subject librarians as needed.
- Works collaboratively with librarians, faculty, and instructors to design, deliver, and assess a program of library instruction that promotes information literacy among undergraduate and graduate students in Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, and Caribbean studies and related disciplines.
- Provides reference service and research consultation related to Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, & Caribbean studies for students, faculty, visiting scholars, and the public.
- Works collaboratively to develop and maintain web-based research guides (LibGuide platform), web content, and promotional materials relevant to the Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, & Caribbean Studies.
- Promotes awareness of cultures from the above regions among the KU community and beyond. Collaborates with colleagues in International Collections (IC) on inter-disciplinary, multi-regional exhibitions.
- Represents KU Libraries in regional, national, and international professional organizations relevant to Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, & Caribbean studies. Participates in regional, national, and international consortia related to the field.
- Supports KU Libraries' Open Access policy by contributing to University's digital repository (KU ScholarWorks) and promoting it among faculty in disciplines related to Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, & Caribbean Studies.
- Advances the Libraries’ priorities and strategic directions through participation on project teams and/or task forces.
- Contributes to the profession’s collective knowledge by engaging in scholarly research activity.
- Research may involve the publication of articles, books, book reviews, grant-supported inquiry, or editorial work (see Promotion and Tenure Procedures at KU, Spring 2017).
- Engages in service to the Libraries, the University and to professional organizations by participating in committee work, projects, and other contributory achievements.
- Master's Degree in Library or Information Sciences from an American Library Association accredited program or foreign equivalent. Degree must be received by date of hire.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in Spanish and English as evidenced by application materials.
- Knowledge of the history and cultures of Spain, Latin America, and the Caribbean, as well as electronic and print resources related to these regions, as evidenced by application materials.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
- Contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor).
- Completion of the online application.
- Describe your experiences working with people from diverse backgrounds, and explain how those experiences reflect your commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.