Medical Assistant - Academic Year - 15899BR
Medical Assistant - Academic Year
***This position is a 9-month, full-time, academic year appointment.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
This position provides support to the Watkins Health Services (WHS) medical providers with direct patient care, maintaining exam rooms and equipment, and assigned clerical duties.
The incumbent in this position will see, hear and have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs.
- Performs daily exam room and stock room inspection, ensures supplies are adequate for patient care, and administers physical exam tests including peak flows, vision, and hearing.
- Performs procedures as directed by provider including but not limited to EKG, Otic lavage, immunizations, minor procedures, dressing changes.
- Interviews patients to obtain medical information including list of current medications and allergies; takes vital signs; weight and height. Records information in EMR.
- Escorts patients to appropriate medical provider. Serves as chaperone for medical providers during exams as needed.
- Collects blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, logs the specimens and prepares them for testing.
- Maintains exam rooms, keeping equipment clean, sterilized and rotated.
- Maintains adequate supplies of linens, medical equipment, and paper supplies for daily operations.
- Assists in the treatment clinic with equipment preparation, wrapping of surgery packs and instruments for autoclaving, and autoclaving as required.
- Fills and maintains cryotherapy equipment.
- Performs patient calls in a professional manner, documenting the event in the chart.
- Responsible for scheduling patient procedures and educating on pre-procedure instructions.
- Performs general office duties such as answering phones, prioritizing phone calls, and pharmacy calls.
- Authorizes drug refills and provides prescription information to pharmacies.
- Checks sign-in time and enters patient arrival into computer.
- Documents all required information for the medical providers.
- Makes appointments for patients as directed by professional staff.
- Takes and delivers messages and test results to the appropriate staff.
- Performs miscellaneous duties such as errands for medical providers; copying and completing any forms as needed by the medical staff.
- Responsible for record flow and retrieval and maintaining the clinic record when assigned to various specialty clinics or works at offsite areas.
- Uses computer to verify immunization records for patients.
- When requested, incumbent is responsible for printing travel packets for students. The travel packets instruct students on what immunizations are required for travel outside the U.S.
- Other duties as assigned to include but not limited to: special assignments in the various specialty clinics; physicals; immunizations off site; special clerical needs of the clinics; special events on campus, etc.
- Knowledge of all state and federal regulations pertaining to professional certification, patient confidentiality pursuant to HIPAA, treatment and safety guidelines.
- High school diploma or completion of GED equivalency.
- Completion of a Medical Assistant program from an accredited/recognized program.
- Current CPR certification or within 6 month of hire.
- Minimum of 6 months experience working as a medical assistant, in a medical office/clinic setting.
- Ability to make basic arithmetic computations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships.
- Physical strength and stamina sufficient to lift heavy objects with or without accommodation.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Please attach a resume, cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications and three (3) references to this on-line application.
Application review begins Tuesday, November 12, 2019 and continues until a pool of qualified applications is collected. For first consideration, apply no later than Monday, November 11, 2019.