Parking Officer - 22718BR
In addition to a competitive salary, KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation per year, 96 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities, including Tuition Assistance following one year of service. KU is a great place to work!
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Patrols KU Parking and Transit lots in departmental vehicles or on foot if no vehicles are available. Tickets and tows vehicles illegally parked.
- By way of two-way radio, communicates with dispatch by way of two-way radio to verify excessive violators, ADA registrations, lot closures, or other unusual situations.
- Provides information concerning Parking Department rules and regulations and general directions to customers/lot users.
- Troubleshoots booth and vehicle touchpads/computers and LPR cameras.
- Implements and deploys Barnacle system.
- Field trains new student officers.
- May be required to work information booths, collect meter money, fix meter malfunctions, remove snow, or other special projects. Reports all problems to supervisor.
- Provides parking lot and garage maintenance including; power washing garages, landscaping around office and parking lots, parking lot striping, parking lot inventory counts, painting new barricades, and cleaning and organizing squad rooms and office areas.
- Assist with maintenance and repair of gate and pay-on-foot equipment as needed. Collect money from pay-on-foot machines upon request.
- Prepares for and works all special events such as football games, basketball games, Commencement and dorm move-in and any other special events that may arise. Posts temporary signage and barricades as directed.
- Assists in supervising temporary employees for special events. Responsible for taking and handling cash for paid stalls/lots during events.
- Report all stolen/damaged signage to supervisor and install replacement signage. Make sure that handheld ticket writers, printers, and radio do not get damaged. Keep vehicles clean and free of trash. Report any damage or necessary mechanical repairs on vehicles. Complete daily reports or other forms accurately and legibly in compliance with departmental policy.
5% - Other duties as assigned
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Work overtime when needed.
- Work in extreme weather conditions, both hot and cold.
- May be required to work some nights, holidays and weekends.
- Multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
- Function well in an environment with limited direct supervision, frequent interaction with internal and external customers and voluntary oversight by those not in the process loop.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of software programs as evidenced in application materials.
- Demonstrated experience in an environment with limited direct supervision.
- Demonstrated excellent public relations skills, including frequent interaction with internal and external customers.
- Prior experience using a two-way radio.
- Knowledge of KU Campus and Lawrence area.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- A cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references.