POOL - Fall 2022 Resident Assistant - 22177BR
POOL - Fall 2022 Resident Assistant
As a representative of KU Student Housing, Student Affairs, and the University of Kansas, Resident Assistants demonstrate a commitment to the Mission, Values, and Inclusion Statement of KU Student Housing.
Building learning-centered communities through individual support and respect.
Our Central Values
We advance KU's mission with:
• Engaging communities.
• Vibrant physical spaces.
• Effective administration.
We proudly commit to preparing our students and staff to thrive in a global community. We seek to understand and affirm all identities we serve to develop a culture where individuals challenge assumptions and engage in open discourse. Through representative staff and equitable policies we will continue to serve the evolving needs of our diverse communities.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn, and an appreciation for various identities. Including the ability to show respect for others’ cultures, rights, feelings, and property.
- Demonstrate positive interpersonal communication skills and implement departmental engagement plan for intentional conversations.
- Promote community building by maintaining a welcoming room space. At times you may be expected to hold individual meetings with residents in your room.
- Positively participate, engage, and contribute in regular staff meetings, retreats, programs, meetings with supervisor, ongoing departmental communication and training, and an annual performance evaluation processes.
- Support and be a resources for hall openings/closings, room changes, and other initiatives (i.e. celebratory occasions).
- Be available to stay on campus and work during academic break periods.
- Communicate with supervisor to request up to 10 nights off per semester. A night off is defined as any night the Resident Assistant does not return to their building/room by 2:00 a.m.
- Demonstrate a commitment to personal integrity, such as modeling good judgment, ethical behavior, and adherence to laws and policies.
- Each RA is subject to possible progressive discipline up to and including termination in the event that they violate any policies, procedures and regulations of Residence Life, and of The University of Kansas, including, but not limited to, the Terms and Conditions of the KU Student Housing Contract, Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities, KU Human Resources policies, and the Student Housing Handbook.
- Be flexible and willing to do other duties as assigned.
Engage with Residents
- Role model inclusion through engaging in dialogue with residents, staff members, and senior staff, as well as engaging in personal reflection.
- Introduce yourself and build relationships with residents in your community anytime there are movements within your community.
- Facilitate intentional interactions with residents regularly.
- Assess and identify needs and concerns of residents through regular contact and communication; offer assistance to residents with personal, academic, health, and other needs.
- Understand university support services/resources and refer students when necessary.
- Facilitate apartment/suite/roommate agreements with every resident in the community. Educate residents about the characteristics of a healthy living arrangement and provide opportunities to revisit and revise throughout the year as needed.
- Educate residents about policies throughout the years
- Educate residents about diversity and inclusion by passive and active means. This may include creating and posting bulletin boards, holding conversations, hosting/attending cultural events, and supporting campus events.
- Encourage interpersonal and inclusive group interactions among residents through social activities and floor bonding opportunities for residents on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Encourage residents to hold each other accountable for their actions.
- Collaborate with other staff members and hall council to attend and promote programming and engagement opportunities for residents throughout the year, including University sponsored events, e.g. Convocation, Hawk Week, Common Book activities, The Big Event, etc.
- Facilitate community meetings.
- Communicate respectfully and effectively with residents, senior staff, and fellow staff members.
- Address actions and words that limit our efforts towards creating an environment that supports and encourages the acceptance of diversity.
- Encourage responsible behavior by demonstrating ethical conduct and enforcing University of Kansas and KU Student Housing regulations and policies.
- Respond to student issues, conflicts, mediation needs, requests for information and resident follow up in a timely manner.
- Respond to emergencies and crisis situations immediately, follow appropriate protocol.
- Participate in duty coverage as the complex first-responder. This includes carrying an on-call phone on night and weekend duty, completing duty rounds, and responding to issues as they arise.
- Complete all administrative tasks fully and punctually. Tasks include but are not limited to submitting facility service requests, answering emails, and submitting incident reports.
- Document all policy violations consistently and follow up with floor residents following policy violations.
- Maintain sensitive student information at all times. Do not discuss resident issues with peers or other residents. Discuss resident issues with your supervisor.
- Model positive academic behaviors, and keep academics as a priority.
- Read and respond to all communication, i.e. email, physical mailbox, etc.
- The following information provides specific modifications or additional information that impact the UG staff role as it relates to COVID-19.
- Staff are expected to follow the PLEDGE OF PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH including reporting feeling ill to health care providers and conducting daily personal health screenings.
- Staff are expected to follow University of Kansas directives from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment about mandates for travel-related quarantine.
- Face coverings or masks will be required during training sessions and when outside of your room and when engaging in any staff responsibilities and duties. Failure to follow this expectation could result in job action.
- One on ones and staff meetings will be conducted virtually when physical distancing is not possible.
- As the University announces shifts in the academic calendar, there will be modifications to expectations for break duty coverage. These modifications will be shared as soon as possible.
- UG staff may be asked to provide support for their building’s front desk. This work would not be compensated additionally.
- The UG position cannot be accomplished remotely. In the event that the University or KU Student Housing needs to close buildings, UG staff compensation will be impacted.
- Must have completed 1 semester of full-time student enrollment by the time of employment.
- Must be a full-time KU student with enrollment in no more than 18 undergraduate hours, or no more than 9 graduate hours per semester.
- Maintain a minimum 2.50 KU cumulative GPA and be in good standing with the university and Student Housing at the start of the hiring process and for the duration of their employment. Undergraduate Staff cannot begin active employment with less than a 2.5 KU cumulative GPA. Undergraduate Staff can only receive one semester of ‘probationary status’ due to grades before termination.
- Have at least 2 semesters of residential group living experience.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Complete Application Includes: Full name, KU email address, and cell phone number.
The RA position is salaried and RAs are assigned duties which do not translate into specific hours worked per day or week. Incumbents are required to perform regularly scheduled duties, attend meetings, and be available to residents and KU Student Housing staff. All RAs are expected to treat their RA appointment as a priority, ahead of other campus involvement. The position does not allow for involvement with academic practica, internships, or regular student teaching. All co-curricular involvement and employment must be approved by the Complex Director prior to beginning appointment. Fall and Winter trainings are mandatory and essential in our RA’s success. Resident Assistants are also expected to abide by all policies and procedures outlined by the KU Student Housing Handbook.
• Room provided when the assigned hall is open. In buildings where the room occupancy is more than 1 person, Resident Assistants may have a roommate.
• Meal plan provided during training and the academic year, when dining centers are operational. Meal plan is intended for individual use, and staff are responsible for tracking the allocation of their meal plan. Improper use or abuse of the meal plan program may result in disciplinary action.
• In addition,
- First-year Resident Assistant staff members receive $70.00 biweekly.
- First-year Apartment Living RA staff members receive $85.00 biweekly.
- Returning Resident Assistant staff members receive $85.00 biweekly.
- Returning Apartment Living RA staff members receive $95.00 biweekly.
Term of Appointment:
August 8, 2022 for staff development and training, through May 14, 2023 (Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)
August 8, 2022 for staff development and training, through May 15, 2023 (Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)
State of Kansas Weapon Policy: Beginning July 1, 2017, any individual who is 21 years of age or older and who is lawfully eligible to carry a concealed handgun in Kansas shall not be precluded from doing so on state university campuses except in buildings and areas of buildings for which adequate security measures are provided, and except as otherwise prohibited by law. For additional details please see http://concealedcarry.ku.edu
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
The RA position is salaried and RAs are assigned duties which do not translate into specific hours worked per day
or week. Incumbents are required to perform regularly scheduled duties, attend meetings, and be available to
residents and KU Student Housing staff. All RAs are expected to treat their RA appointment as a priority, ahead of other campus involvement. The position does not allow for involvement with academic practica, internships, or
regular student teaching. All co-curricular involvement and employment must be approved by the Complex
Director prior to beginning appointment. Fall and Winter trainings are mandatory and essential in our RA’s
success. Resident Assistants are also expected to abide by all policies and procedures outlined by the KU Student Housing Handbook.
Term of Appointment:
August 8, 2022 for staff development and training, through May 14, 2023
(Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)
August 8, 2022 for staff development and training, through May 15, 2023
(Including Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break)