POOL - Law Enforcement Role Players (Part-time temporary) - 18416BR
POOL - Law Enforcement Role Players (Part-time temporary)
Hutchinson Campus Overview
The Hutchinson Campus, a part of the University of Kansas, is located near Hutchinson, Kansas. Reporting to KU through KU Professional & Continuing Education, the Hutchinson Campus consists of 173 acres with fifteen buildings including two multi-story residential student dormitories.
The Hutchinson Campus is home to the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC). KLETC serves as the central agency for all law enforcement training in the State of Kansas. KLETC manages an $8.1 million annual budget, 62 authorized FTE staff (augmented by more than 400 contract/adjunct staff annually), and trains nearly 10,000 students annually in residential, online, and outreach programs. KLETC serves 437 recognized law enforcement and police agencies in Kansas, providing basic training and continuing education programs throughout each fiscal year. Many KLETC basic training and continuing education programs are conducted in a high risk and high liability environment (firearms, use of force, emergency vehicle operations driver training, defense tactics, and search and seizure).
The campus, in coordination with KU Professional & Continuing Education, Edwards Campus leadership and other KU offices, also oversees high-level administrative functions, including student discipline, academic issues, legislative funding requests, information technology and telecommunications planning, strategic planning, and external grants. KLETC basic training students reside on campus in residential housing dormitories. KLETC operates 24-hours a day, Sunday afternoon thru Friday evening.
Programs developed on the Hutchinson Campus leverage the resources of KLETC and expand the training mission for the Kansas criminal justice community. This is a growing aspect of the Hutchinson Campus mission.
KU Professional & Continuing Education (PCE), headquartered on the Edwards Campus, operates in a self-supporting business environment while aligning with KU's academic, research and public service missions. KUPCE works collaboratively with all KU academic schools and departments to provide continuing professional education. Professional & Continuing Education programs serve all 105 Kansas counties, 50 U.S. states, and 61 nations.
The role player will facilitate and participate in basic training scenarios as assigned. Law enforcement experience is not required. This position must be physically and emotionally capable to perform the essential functions and demands of their assigned work in a safe and effective manner. This position reports to the Associate Director for basic training or their desginee.
5% Assist in set-up and teardown of scenarios as necessary.
5% This position may require exposure to extreme weather conditions from time to time.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older at time of hire.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- Must be able to use/tolerate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Remain “in role” during training mission
- Portrays an assigned role. Stays in character, applies independent judgement within the scripted scenarios or ad-lib if directed. Utilizes creativity to make situations real in a training environment.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructors.
- Dress in appropriate apparel to the role.
- Maintain satisfactory standards of competency, conduct, appearance, and integrity. Fraternization to include out of role conversations during role play on campus with KLETC basic students is prohibited.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment and maintain throughout employment.
- Current or former law enforcement experience preferred.
Additional Candidate Instructions
This is a POOL posting. Review of applications will begin January 25th, and be ongoing as hires will be made as needed throughout the posting period.