POOL - Temporary Field Technician Specialist - 9642BR
POOL - Temporary Field Technician Specialist
In addition, as part of their work, this section has developed WinSeis and SurfSeis software for processing data generated by seismic reflection and for monitoring wells in Kansas. For more information about the KGS see: http://www.kgs.ku.edu
Intermittent temporary field and shop work to assist drill and seismic crews on exploration drilling and seismic projects, travel is required:50% - Assist drill and seismic crew on exploration-drilling and seismic projects being conducted throughout Kansas and possibly outside Kansas. Assist with maintenance of equipment and operation of vehicles. Load and unload cement, drill mud, drill stem, well casing, etc. Assist with set up and drilling of test wells, handle well casing, etc. Assist with set up and drilling of test wells, handle well casing and drill stem, and clean-up of drilling equipment, restoration of drill site at completion of project.
40% - Collect core samples as directed by geologist in charge of research project. Assist in preparing and processing lithologic samples for use and storage, and may include assisting with pumping test and preparation of maps, tables, charts, records, etc. Assist seismic field crew planting geophones and laying seismic cable.
10% - Assist in maintenance and upkeep of storage facilities and other duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Kansas Class "C" driver's license at onset of employment.
- Physical ability to repetitively lift heavy items such as cement sacks, etc., and to work outdoors in typical Kansas summer weather.
- Capability to be away from Lawrence for one or more weeks.
- Experience in fieldwork such as drilling, surveying, or farmhand.
- Experience with heavy vehicle maintenance and operation.
- Experience driving heavy trucks (>25,000 lbs) and vehicles pulling trailers.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Employment Classification: Unclassified Professional Staff. This is a temporary position and therefore it cannot exceed 999 hours in a calendar year. Temporary positions do not include benefits.
Applications reviewed on an ongoing basis and positions filled as needed.