Postdoctoral Researcher - 13095BR
Starting Date: July 1, 2019, or as soon thereafter as the position can be filled (also negotiable).
Length of Appointment: Initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal for a third year pending performance and availability of funds.
GENERAL DUTIES: The successful candidate will analyze HST and Spitzer imaging data of a large set of high redshift clusters to determine how cluster galaxies quench their star formation and assemble their stellar mass over cosmic time. 50% of the successful candidate’s time is expected to be devoted to the development of their own research program.
Specific job duties:
35% Conduct research in extragalactic observational astronomy
- Collaborate with members of the University of Kansas galaxy evolution group and with the PI’s collaborators world-wide
- The study of a large set of high redshift clusters using multi-band HST and Spitzer imaging, supplemented with ground-based imaging and spectroscopy using a broad array of ground-based telescopes
- Analyze the evolution in the galaxy luminosity and stellar mass functions of galaxies in these clusters and will build toy models to explain their evolution
- Pursue independent research program
- Look for opportunities to collaborate with Rudnick on new projects
- Build personal research network
- Partake in career development activities
- Publish findings of research
- Present work at national and international conferences
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate students
- Ph.D. degree in astronomy or related discipline
- Demonstrated experience in astronomical data analysis based on publications in which the candidate has analyzed astronomical data as evidenced by the application materials
Additional Candidate Instructions
Applicants should submit a cover letter with the names and contact information of three references, CV, publication list, a statement of past research, and a statement of research interests. In addition, three reference letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Full consideration will be given to applicants whose materials are received by Dec. 10, 2018.