Research Technician - 11501BR
25% Rock preparation: sawing, slabbing and polishing of thin section billets.
15% Sample preparation for SEM, geochemistry and other geologic applications.
10% Train and oversee other users in proper use of equipment and preparation of geological samples.
5% Inventory and archive existing rock and thin section collections, including digital imaging and creation of data catalogs.
5% Maintain and repair specialized equipment including microscopes and rock and thin section preparation equipment.
5% Invoice customers/users for services. Maintain up-to-date pricelist. Inventory and order consumables for rock preparation laboratories.
5% Perform other duties as necessary; this includes developing techniques for preparation of geological samples including design and fabrication of equipment and laboratory facilities.
- High school diploma/GED.
- At least one year of coursework, training, or job experience that is rock-based, and training or experience in optical mineralogy.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in geology or closely related field.
- Demonstrated expertise in preparation of polished thin sections of rock samples.
- Demonstrated expertise in petrographic analysis of thin sections of rocks.
- Demonstrated expertise in maintenance and repair of equipment in rock preparation laboratory.
- Demonstrated experience in geologic research.
- Demonstrated experience in training of individuals in rock preparation techniques.
- Demonstrated expertise in technique development in preparation and analysis of geologic samples.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Initial review of applications will begin 4/27/18 and continue as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.