Science Communications Specialist - 21905BR
Science Communications Specialist
Work as part of a team to support the mission of the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS). The Science Communications Specialist works collaboratively to develop and facilitate a variety of earth science content for the general public. An ideal candidate for this position is a team player that is organized, resourceful, and self-motivated. A hybrid work arrangement may be considered for the ideal candidate.
KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 176 hours of paid vacation earned per year, 96 hours of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical & dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options, and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities. KGS at KU is a great place to work! The University actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For more information about the KGS, visit our website: http://www.kgs.ku.edu.
- (30%) - Designs and coordinates social media communications for multiple KGS outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and LinkedIn. Supports outreach activities and reporting associated with KGS scientists’ research projects through these social media mediums.
- (30%) - Support outreach efforts by designing and co-facilitating public field trips and/or professional development workshops each year.
- (20%) - Developing earth science toolkits for K-12 educators and their classrooms.
- (15%) - Support outreach efforts by attending meetings, conferences, public events, and giving presentations as necessary.
- (5%) - Developing content for the GeoKansas website.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to four weeks per year to participate in meetings and other project-related activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology, earth and environmental sciences, or related field.
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience related to science outreach and communication.
- Strong communication skills. Written skills will be evaluated by quality of application materials and/or published materials. Oral communication skills will be assessed by the interview and through reference checks.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience with video editing and production.
- Demonstrated record of successful performance in a team environment.
- Experience with Canva or other relevant graphic design software.
Additional Candidate Instructions
● Cover letter (max 2 pages) addressing the required and preferred qualifications and position requirements.
● Resume or CV.
● Contact information for 3 references (email address, phone number, and relation to reference).
● Unofficial college transcripts will be required from finalists to confirm education requirement.
First consideration given to applicants whose material is received by May 10, 2022.