Shook Hardy & Bacon Scholar Student Hourly/Work Study - 13072BR
Shook Hardy & Bacon Scholar Student Hourly/Work Study
Shook Hardy and Bacon Scholars will lead a structured study group during the spring semester for 1L students in the bottom of the class. The study group will be tied to the students' Constitutional Law class but will also focus on learning and practicing effective study skills. We are looking for two additional students for the spring semester to lead study groups for students, one for Professor Levy's Constitutional Law class and one for Professor Coleman's Constitutional Law class.
- General Responsibilities – Scholars will be assigned a group of roughly five students. Scholars will not specifically be tutoring students but will instead be helping them find answers to their questions and modeling successful law student study skills.
- Attend Constitutional Law – Scholars must attend either Professor Levy's Constitutional Law class, which meets M 9:15am-10:10 am and MTW 11:25 am-12:20pm or Professor Coleman's Constitutional Law class, which meets WRF 11:25am-12:20pm and F 9:15am-10:10am. You must be available to attend all four hours of class each week.
- Lead Weekly Study Group – Scholars will organize and lead an hour-long weekly study group for group participants.
- Attend Training – Scholars will meet at the beginning of the spring semester and periodically throughout the semester with the Director of Academic Resources for training, guidance, and instruction.
- Any KU Law student who is in good standing and will be enrolled as a third-year law student during the spring 2019 semester is eligible to apply. Scholars will be selected, in part, on students demonstrated success in law school generally and in Constitutional Law specifically.
- Scholars must attend either Professor Levy's Constitutional Law class, which meets M 9:15am-10:10am and MTW 11:25am-12:20pm or Professor Coleman's Constitutional Law class, which meets WRF 11:25am-12:20pm and F 9:15am-10:10am. You must be available to attend all four hours of class each week.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review of applications begins on Friday, November 9, 2018 and continues as needed to collect a pool of qualified applicants. To ensure consideration, apply before the application review date.
Scholars will be paid up to $1,500 for the semester at $14.00 an hour. Note that law students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week. Scholars generally work 6 - 10 hours each week.
During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).