SSC Finance Manager - 21834BR
SSC Finance Manager
The SSC Finance Manager will ensure that SSC finance staff provide timely and professional services that support and enhance the instructional, research and service goals of the units served. The SSC Finance Manager will be expected to maintain successful relationships and frequent communication with Deans, Directors, Chairs and PIs of academic, administrative, or research units. The SSC Finance Manager will make staffing and workload assignments to ensure expedient processing of financial transactions. This position is also responsible for establishing and monitoring internal control procedures and ensuring compliance with University, State, and Federal Guidelines.
The SSC Finance Manager will report to the SSC Director and is expected to work with the SSC Director to implement strategic plans for improving processes and services. The SSC Finance Manager will also be accountable to central financial offices to ensure the implementation of financial policies and processes and that staff are adequately trained. The SSC Finance Manager will also be accountable to the units served for the services outlined in the Service Level Agreement (SLA). The SSC Finance Manager will work closely with the HR Manager in the SSC.
Coordinates with leaders of academic departments or research centers
- Ensures service levels are met or exceeded, based on the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Meets with assigned departments and centers on a quarterly and as-needed basis.
- Addresses unique concerns or needs of assigned departments and centers.
- Resolves disputes and takes corrective action.
- Reports to the SSC Director.
- Shares progress reports and status updates.
- Informs SSC Director of service or staff issues and necessary steps needed or taken to address them.
- Performs related duties such as conducting staff meetings, preparing written instructions for work assignments, resolving disputes, and preparing narratives and statistical reports.
Guides and directs activities for assigned SSC Finance Staff
- Manages cross-functional activities of finance staff, including oversight of all accounting and financial management related functions.
- Trains in functional accounting, financial management skills, including optimizing the use of systems and reporting.
- Works with staff to maintain compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Working with the central finance offices and other SSCs, evaluates opportunities to enhance existing processes or provide improved service to client units.
- Works with Process Improvement and Training Committees as needed to implement process design changes or system updates.
- Serves as a resource for SSC staff working through challenging transactions and provide analytical support to work through challenges.
- Oversees staff work and ensures procedures are consistent with policy; monitors relationships with assigned departments and centers to ensure high levels of satisfaction.
- Addresses personnel needs of the SSC Finance Staff by working with central units to promote financial training and hire new employees.
- Addresses SSC audit findings to improve compliance and accuracy of transaction processing.
- SSC representative for external and internal compliance audits. Works with central finance offices on all external compliance audits.
- Helps resolve and answer finance-related questions for the areas served.
- Escalates questions and problems as appropriate to the SSC Director or appropriate central financial offices.
- Partners with Central Finance staff to develop and present information and training sessions on university financial policies and procedures and budget management techniques. Provides information in a variety of formats, including individual training, workshop type sessions, and seminars to financial officers, deans, directors, chairs, vice provosts and other interested staff as requested.
- Coordinates with Central Finance on the interpretation and communication of financial policies, systems, procedures, and programs.
- This position mostly teleworks with occasional on-campus meetings.
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum four (4) years related professional-level work experience OR a high school degree/GED plus a minimum of eight (8) years of related professional-level work experience.
- Computer skills in a PC/Windows environment including MS Word and MS Excel as demonstrated by application materials and previous experience.
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by application materials.
- Master’s in Business Administration, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience supervising staff.
- Experience with Oracles-Based systems (Oracle Analytics in the Cloud, Financials in the Cloud) and/or Concur Travel Solutions.
- Experience with fund accounting.
- Experience creating training materials and manuals.
- Experience working in a Higher Education setting in the finance or research area.
- Strong understanding of and experience with process mapping and process improvement.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including experience researching and analyzing complex data to develop accurate reports, identify valid solutions, forecast consequences of proposed action, and implement a course of action.
- Experience working both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience managing multiple projects in a deadline driven environment.
- Experience working with faculty, administrative staff and students in a higher education environment.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, as evidenced by application materials.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
- Contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor).
- Completion of the online application.
- Application review begins Monday, May 2, 2022 and continues until a pool of qualified applicants is identified.