SSC HR Specialist - 11595BR
SSC HR Specialist
The day-to-day human resource activities in the Shared Service Centers will be conducted by SSC HR Coordinators and HR Specialists. These positions will be responsible for working with assigned units, departments and centers and the SSC HR Manager to perform human resources business activities in an environment of excellent client service. The positions will use knowledge of HR best practices and KU HR systems, policies and processes to perform human resources support functions for the departments, provide departments with accurate and timely information to make decisions, and ensure efficient transaction processing.
The SSC HR Specialist will provide timely and professional services that support or enhance the instructional, research and service goals of the units served. The SSC HR Specialist will report to the SSC HR Manager, and will be expected to maintain successful relationships and frequent communication with individuals from academic or research units who receive service from the SSC.
- Manages the student recruitment for assigned units. May assist the HR Coordinators in initiating and managing faculty and staff hires to recruit and retain a superior workforce for assigned campus units.
- Learns to write position descriptions with measurable qualifications. Assists campus units with completing recruitment plan documents and preparing associated materials for the recruitment process.
- Assists applicants with questions on application process and status, sends system notification of application outcome to candidates, generates online offer to student and temporary employees, places and tracks background check completion, ensures supporting/organizational documents are attached and monitors recruitment processes to ensure university guidelines are followed. Works with the HR Coordinator to learn search processes and evaluate issues related to the search process. Provides first level assistance for the resolution of issues and concerns.
- Reviews application materials on behalf of hiring departments as requested. May also consult with and/or serve on employee search committees.
25% For each area served, responsible for the time reviewer function; including, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for proactively following up on any missing time and approvals to ensure successful completion of the pay period for payroll purposes.
- Support time approvers with questions and instructions on the Time and Leave system.
- Responsible for entering missed punches when contacted by student employees and monitoring correct leave request of staff.
20% Supports the onboarding of department staff and faculty to KU, at the direction of the SSC HR Coordinator or SSC HR Manager:
- Responsible for the collection of all onboarding materials from prospective hires. Coordinates service access (i.e., computer access) and works with hiring unit to ensure information has been effectively communicated regarding employment details. Works with University Department of HR Appointment Specialists to ensure that all materials are keyed appropriately into the system and the appropriate hourly employees are set up for the corresponding time collection group.
- Supports orientation related services provided to new employees.
15% Appointment Management for areas served, which includes preparing contract, intent, or payroll forms as needed, and routing for appropriate approvals and keying:
- Facilitates the GTA/GRA/GA appointment process.
- Processes lecturer re-appointments.
- Processes faculty summer salary.
- Processes funding and FTE
10% Other SSC Responsibilities:
- May be requested to participate in the development or creation of new employee materials, training packets, etc. which relate to recruitment and onboarding.
- Assists with communication ideas as it relates to social media, website and campus.
- Reviews and recommends changes to department and SSC procedures to ensure compliance with policy; prepares and updates procedural manuals and related instructional materials.
- Serves as a resource to department staff and faculty to ensure compliance with policy.
- Attends regular meetings, training sessions and professional development workshops/seminars to keep current on policies and procedures relevant to position responsibilities, as requested and approved by the SSC HR Manager.
- Bachelor's degree OR High School Degree/GED and two (2) years of relevant experience in recruitment (faculty, staff and/or student), human resources (HR), benefits, communication, and/or payroll processing.
- Computer skills in a PC/Windows environment including MS Word and MS Excel as demonstrated by application materials and previous experience.
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail as demonstrated by application materials.
- Three years of finance and/or fund accounting experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience directly related to supporting KU faculty, staff and/or students.
- Experience using an HR Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP) such as a recruitment software application.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a customer service driven environment.
Additional Candidate Instructions
Review of applications begins April 20, 2018 and will remain open until filled.