Storeroom Supervisor - 13137BR
15% - Purchasing: Procurement of supplies, tools, repair parts and materials for Facility Services, at the University of Kansas, for a large storeroom/warehouse/distribution. This is done by utilizing the computerized procurement and inventory control systems to determine inventory counts compared with past usage, routine repair and replacement needs of inventories across the FS supply chain, and processing equipment and materials purchase requests for planned remodeling or replacement projects. Work may also include contacting distributors, manufacturers, local and state suppliers to find needed items or suitable replacement parts for obsolete equipment. Maintain a large selection of parts catalogs, technical manuals and data on materials, repair parts, equipment and tools. Contacts sales representatives, writes specifications, places orders for stock items, reviews new items available and refers them to proper FS employee or areas in case it might be advantageous for use in the maintenance operation. Ensures all orders are placed in compliance with Procurement, FS, University and State policies and procedures. Work also includes conferring with vendors concerning damaged or inaccurate shipments.
10% - Inventory Control System: Supervises and monitors the computerized inventory management system by recording correct information of daily purchases, receiving and issues of goods and materials. Conducts periodic & annual physical inventory of all stock, makes needed adjustments to inventory system. Oversees and approves all adjustments to stock quantities and reorder point quantities. Supervises, checks, and monitors all storeroom computer related reports. Review computer usage, making recommendations on updates and improvements as warranted. This is done in order to maintain up-to-date accurate record keeping required in the storeroom/warehouse and inventory operation.
15% - Staff Supervision and Training: Supervises and instructs storekeepers and student storeroom employees in Procurement, FS, University and State procedures and regulations pertaining to purchasing of goods and services. This includes the processing and recording of purchasing transactions in order to facilitate adequate or improved job performances. This is done by interviewing and hiring employees that meet the job criteria and affirmative action guidelines, making work assignments, coordinating work activities with other department supervisors, attending orientation sessions, counseling, evaluating and supervising employees, coordinating and conducting on the job training activities. Demonstrates and trains employees in customer service and public relations in order to present a good image and continually improve relationships with Facility Services employees and offices by communication, and instruction.
5% - Safety: Supervises and assists in the safe operation of the storeroom/warehouse distribution operation. This is done by, maintaining clean orderly, hazard free, fire safe and secure storage of parts as well as insuring distribution methods are accomplished in a safe manner. Maintains current knowledge of nomenclature and safety guidelines for construction and skilled trades. Performs related work as required.
10% - Meets with FS and Procurement Services staff to review opportunities for process improvement, cost savings and overall service improvement. Constant coordination and collaboration with a number of FS staff representing all FS areas as well as Procurement Services will be required to optimize the performance of the Storeroom/Warehouse/Distribution operations.
5% - Performs other related work as assigned.
- High School diploma or completion of G.E.D. equivalency.
- Three (3) years experience in a purchasing or inventory of supplies environment
- 1 year of leadership/supervisory experience.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, as demonstrated by application materials submitted and during an interview.
- Must have a valid driver’s license by the time of hire.
- Minimum three (3) years of computer experience, including MS Office Suite as evidenced by written materials.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a regular basis with or without accommodation.
- Work in unheated, uncooled off-site storage areas on an occasional basis.
- Stand for prolonged periods.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment & nomenclature used in the building trades
- Experience in warehousing or stores and distribution
- Experience with computerized inventory management system(s) (Maximo experience a plus)
- Experience with eProcurement systems
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Certified/licensed to drive Forklift or willing to become certified/licensed.
- Exposure to Lean Six Sigma
- Understanding of inventory management concepts and terminology
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Experience working in a collaborative work environment where multiple entities are involved.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete electronic application will include a detailed resume, a cover letter, and the names and contact information to three professional references attached to the resume.