Student Geological Research Assistant - POOL - 22514BR
Student Geological Research Assistant - POOL
35% Retrieve, process, inventory, and archive geological materials, which may include retrieval and re-stocking of already-archived materials. This involves moving geological samples, sorting, cleaning, possibly re-boxing, inventorying, and shelving. Transport samples by vehicle between core storage facilities. Retrieve requested items.
10% Searching databases or scientific literature for data on samples. Downloading and organizing data. Interacting with other KGS/KU geological researchers and students to meet project goals.
- KU student meeting enrollment requirements.
- Available to work up to 40 hours weekly between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday, during summer and up to 20 hours per week during school year.
- Must have a current driver’s license.
- Ability to perform physical tasks of the job duties, either with or without reasonable accommodation, to include but not limited to,
- Stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Exposed to dust, dirt and mildew associated with stored geological samples
- Frequently lift and move up to 30 pounds, and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds with accommodation in temperatures affected by extreme outdoor Kansas weather.
- Comfortable with heights for forklift rock core/sample retrieval duties.
- Familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Coursework in geology or related field.
- Use of a tile saw and/or wet saws for cutting rock samples.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Good communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Cover letter is recommended but not required
- Provide work references and relationship to the applicant
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
Available to work up to 40 hours weekly between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday, during summer and up to 20 hours per week during school year.