TRIO Advisor - 20441BR
Only apply if you are committed to the ideals of TRIO, have high integrity, considered to be responsible and timely, can follow directions, have a willingness to learn, and can effectively connect with young students both on an 1:1 basis and group/classroom settings. The ideal candidate will present a professional demeanor and handle situations with tact and diplomacy; have excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills, accept feedback and implement change as needed. The ability to work independently, take initiative, prioritize, execute multiple and continuing assignments and attention to detail are important. Overall, we are seeking high-energy, creative, team worker with great organizational skills and the ability to follow through with assignments and who can work in a fast pace environment.
This position is located in Kansas City, KS. A valid driver's license is required as this position requires daily travel by car to the target schools/area.
- Coordinate, design and implement all aspects of program services that strengthen middle and high school students’ development related to successful school completion and postsecondary entry/re-entry
- Provide effective academic, career, and college guidance to middle and high school students on relevant college access and success topics
- Develop age-appropriate college access curriculum and coordinate and facilitate workshops and activities during the school day, including before and after school.
- Organize and conduct 1:1 and group advising sessions, workshops, and meetings on a regular basis (weekly and monthly) with participants at the target middle and high schools and at local entities in Kansas City, KS (library, community center, colleges)
- Plan, coordinate, and lead college visits, STEM activities, and special events for middle and high school participants
- Provide 1:1 and group advising to assist participants with college admissions and scholarship applications, FAFSA and career planning.
- Develop and maintain a working and trusting relationship with participants and their families while ensuring that they are receiving quality programming.
- Maintain current knowledge of financial aid and admissions processes including admission requirements and degree options for local colleges and universities
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned such as special projects, programming, and activities to ensure the attainment of the program goals and objectives.
Student Record Management and Program Guidance (35%)
- Develop and execute a strategic recruitment plan for eligible students and successfully complete all documentation processes for new participants
- Maintain confidentiality of participant information learned while completing job responsibilities
- Monitor student participation and ensure program goals and objectives are being met using formative and summative evaluations and processes
- Manage and maintain comprehensive and accurate records and documentation regarding participant contacts and progress, program activities, budget expenditures and forms, and follow-up processes and meet deadlines.
- Compile and analyze data, prepare/submit reports in a timely manner to Director, and assist with all required reports for the US Department of Education.
- Supervise and train College and Peer Mentors.
- Provide effective and open lines of communications with Director, program staff, secondary school personnel, and university and community partners to ensure a positive and professional work environment and effective service delivery
- Promote and publicize the program services and assist with program communication to include but not limited to presentations, website maintenance, social media presence and mailings
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings, trainings sessions, and parent/student meetings.
- In conjunction with Director and program staff, participate in all summer programming and assist in planning and implementation of summer programs
- Implement an effective Summer Melt program and serve as a mentor to guide newly graduated seniors through the college matriculation process.
- Maintain on-going contact with program alums (college students) to monitor progress and ensure successful post-secondary degree attainment
- Assist with the implementation of the YES Scholars program
- Assist with the coordination of workshops and activities to promote parent/guardian involvement, addressing various family needs and helping their student prepare for postsecondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with target populations
- Demonstrated excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, as evidenced by application materials
- Experience managing multiple projects as evidenced by application materials
- Previous experience that required establishing excellent working relationships with a variety of audiences, including youth and families, as evidenced by application materials
- Master’s degree in student personnel, higher education, counseling or related field
- Two years of experience working with target populations
- Prior experience working with TRIO or similar programs or TRIO alum status
- Working knowledge of the college and financial aid processes and other relevant college access resources
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated attention to detail
- Experience working both independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment
- Experience with group facilitation/presentations and designing workshops
- Proficiency in oral and written communication in Spanish
- Experience and sensitivity working with students and/or individuals from diverse backgrounds
Additional Candidate Instructions
- Online application
- Cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Review of applications begins 11/15/21 and continues as needed to collect a pool of qualified applicants. For first consideration, please apply by the application review date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The position is located in Kansas City, KS.