UNITE Program Mentor - Student Hourly - 22119BR
UNITE Program Mentor - Student Hourly
UNITE Primary Goal: provide rigorous academic coursework and hands-on activities that spark and sustain student interest in STEM and that will help prepare and encourage students to pursue college-level studies and, eventually, STEM careers.
The UNITE Mentors will provide assistance in instruction and hands-on classroom activities as needed. Mentors are for high school students who are participating in a residential six-week educational institute at KU during the summer, and serve as a role model for participants. Classes are held Monday -Thursday, June 13th - July 8, 2022. Orientation is tentatively scheduled for June 2, 2022. The pay rate is: $10-$15 per hour depending on qualifications/ a stipend will be provided. The position is an on-going temporary summer appointments.
- Provide instruction that cover topics relating to academic and university culture advising, conducting research, research symposia, and general advising.
- Assist in identifying an Army STEM professional or representative for a career presentation or classroom visit.
- Reinforce STEM AEOP opportunities available to students.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for STEM career events or field trips.
- Provide additional support to professors and instructors by working with participant’s to ensure their success in the program.
- Provide assistance in instruction and hands-on classroom activities.
- Assist UNITE Instructor in assessing students' cognitive needs, executing a curriculum to address those needs, and provide assistance to residence hall staff in meeting participants' cognitive needs.
- Assist UNITE Instructor with developing a thorough understanding of the project's overall goals and assist with a challenging program of study that will promote success and generate confidence within each student.
- Complete weekly progress reports and final grade reports for each student. Maintain accurate participant attendance records. Attend all training sessions and staff meetings.
- Provides or make arrangements for curriculum materials such as textbooks, readers or instructional aides to be made available to student participants. Prepare and submit daily homework and/or missing assignments to the UNITE Instructor/ UNITE Program Director.
- Become familiar with and closely follow the UNITE program instructor policies, procedures, and use professional ethics.
- Identify and assist in providing resources needed to implement curriculum.
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Candidate must be a McNair Scholar/TRIO SES-STEM.
3. Candidate must have strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in education as evidenced by application materials.
2. Experience with culturally diverse students
3. Teaching expertise and experience in STEM field.
4. Experience with Federal TRIO/UNITE Programs
5. Available to teach, June 13th –July 8th, Monday-Thursday.
Additional Candidate Instructions
- online application
- cover letter
- name and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Will you be working for another department or office on campus over the summer? If yes, what type of position? How many hours per week will you be working?
- Will you be taking any classes this summer?
- What is your availability to teach Monday-Thursday, June 13th-July 8th?
- Please describe any experience you may have working with TRIO programs.
- Will you have 30+ undergraduate hours at the end of the spring semester?
- Please describe any teaching experience you may have.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to consider employment opportunities at the University of Kansas. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the interview and/or the mock teaching, please contact Ms. Marilynn Chavez at the KU Upward Bound Math and Science-LT phone: (785) 864-0111, email: email@example.com five days prior to the scheduled interview.
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
Monday-Thursday; hours will vary. 10 hours per week