University Press of Kansas Student Acquisitions Intern - 22027BR
University Press of Kansas Student Acquisitions Intern
The intern will have the opportunity to learn about book publishing and get hands-on experience in a professional work environment at one of the top university presses in North America. The Acquisitions Department considers proposals and manuscripts for publication, oversees in-house and editorial board approval, and prepares approved manuscripts for production. For this competitive internship student must provide a letter of recommendation from faculty.
25% Review and respond to unsolicited queries and proposals
25% Evaluate manuscripts for content
20% Prepare projects for Production department
10% Review accepted manuscripts to determine whether copyright permission might be required for quotations or illustrations
10% Assist with Editorial Committee meeting preparation
10% Other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the Spring 2022 semester or currently enrolled for 6 credit hours for the upcoming Fall semester
- Able to work a regular schedule of 10 or more hours between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday weekly
- Able to commute to Lawrence campus once a week for training with option for remote work
- Excellent communication, writing, organization, and time management skills as evidenced by application materials
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Outlook as evidenced by application materials.
- Interest in book publishing as evidenced by application materials
- 6 months or more work experience in editing and/or publishing or 6 or more credit hours of related coursework
- Humanities or social sciences background
- Familiarity with academic research and writing
- Familiarity with the peer review process
- Experience with Photoshop
Additional Candidate Instructions
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
10 - 20 hours per week; schedule to be determined by supervisor.