Preparing for the Interview
- When contacted, confirm the form of your interview (via phone, virtual or in-person).
- Conduct your research n the position and organization. Save a copy of the job description.
- If your interview is virtual, treat the opportunity the same as you would for an in-person interview in a traditional setting:
- Test your technology based upon the instructions provided as soon as you accept the interview invitation. If resources are not readily available, determine if an alternate arrangement can be made at a different location or contact KU Human Resource Management (HRM) at email@example.com
- Practice with mock interview questions in advance. Be confident, clear and concise in your responses versus providing something memorized.
- Identify relevant questions to ask the search committee.
Space, Attire & Body Language
- Dress professionally
- If virtual, avoid small patterns and colors that blend into your background.
- If virtual, choose a professional background
- Avoid having a window behind you or at a location where natural light removes the picture quality of the camera.
- Look behind you to determine if the background is appropriate, a plain wall works best.
- Be engaged and remove distractions
- Have good posture, smile, and convey a level of excitement to be participating in the interview process.
- Make eye contact (if virtual, look directly into the camera)
- Do not use personal devices during the interview
- If virtual, eliminate any distractions or explain your home situation if distractions are present and unavoidable
Technology Reminders for Virtual Interviews
- Consider raising your monitor or laptop so the camera is at eye level.
- Have the camera approximately two feet away from you.
- Try to connect with the search committee using an appropriate story that they will remember
- Be yourself.
- Be early.
- Immediately follow-up within 24 hours of the interview with the search committee thanking them for their time. This also provides you an opportunity to express strengths you may bring to the role or add any talking points you may have forgotten to share or wish to reemphasize.
- Take a virtual tour of our campus