Associate Director, Digital Media
Department: Marketing Communications
Position Title: Manager/Administrator
Working Title: Associate Director, Digital Media
Position Number: 00206539
The Associate Director, Digital Media is responsible for leading the video and photography strategy that supports the University of Kansas’ communication and marketing goals. The Associate Director, Digital Media ensures that the work the digital media team produces follows industry best practices and is innovative, consistent, and effective for a range channels. These channels include KU’s print, social, and web properties.
Internally, the Associate Director, Digital Media supervises full-time and student staff in the areas of videography and photography.
30% Media Management - Lead the planning and development for all videos and photos for Marketing Communications’ clients including definition of objectives, script development, and development of communications strategies. Work closely with the account management and creative teams to bring strategies to life and ensure that the photo and video plans support the KU's strategic objectives.
30% Media production - Lead blue sky or brainstorming exercises among team members and clients. Lead the development of compelling stories in different and unique ways that appeal to a variety of audiences. Consult with the creative team throughout the production process to ensure the highest quality product. Related tasks include researching opportunities, scouting locations, prepping equipment for fieldwork, and restoring communal equipment. Some evening and weekend hours required.
30% Leadership - Manage assignment of projects, maintain quality standards, and supervise staff, including strategic direction and review. Meet and work collaboratively with the director of Marketing Communications and team leaders at Marketing Communications to ensure the timely and efficient delivery of high quality, high profile materials, and other products. Coordinate various visual media photography and video projects
10% Other duties - Attend staff and client meetings. Plan, strategize, trouble-shoot and review needs and solutions for wide range of clients. Work collegially with staff and clients in a team environment. Related tasks include occasional preparation of proposals, presentations, and job status reports. Consult with clients regarding the university’s digital asset management system.
1. A bachelor's degree in a closely related field, such as journalism, advertising, account management, communications, marketing, digital media, graphic design, or industrial design from an accredited college, university or school.
2. Minimum 6 years of experience with some combination of: video editing, video production, video direction, photography, or similar role in an agency setting or an in-house design unit.
1. Experience with audio/video production and post-production utilizing current technologies
2. Experience with high-resolution image management.
3. Previous experience producing digital media for institutions of higher learning, non-profit, or charitable foundation.
4. Strong ability to set objectives, prioritize and organize tasks and assign resources
5. Experience in advertising, visual communications and/or brand development
6. Familiarity with broadcast workflows & systems including traffic, scheduling, automation, & transmission
7. Experience with digital asset management software solutions and digital media
8. Strong analytical skills and effective problem solving
9. Experience with multi-channel distribution including broadband, IPTV, & wireless
10. Familiarity with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, and working knowledge and experience with multimedia software, such as Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro, and a working understanding of HTML/CSS.
11. Strong written and verbal communications skills.
12. A team player with self-initiative, a strong work ethic and positive attitude.
13. Must be able to respond to direction and adapt to changes in project objectives and/or deadlines.
14. Must be self-motivated and possess a strong attention to detail and contribute to issue identification and problem solving.
15. Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools
Salary Range: Minimum $55,000
Contact Information for Applicants: Stacey Cummings, email@example.com
Deadline/Review Date: 11/17/13
Estimated Start Date: 01/06/14
Specific Detailed Applications Instructions for this position:
Applicants must provide cover letter, resume, three professional references and samples of relevant work.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
Pay: This is an Exempt, Unclassified Professional Staff (UPS) position.
Benefits Eligible: Benefits-eligible employees are eligible for group health insurance coverage as well as other benefit programs, retirement and other insurance programs. Semi-monthly employee health insurance premiums are determined based upon full-time or part-time employment status. Please click here for additional information concerning benefits coverage.
Work Schedule: This position is Monday-Friday, 8 a.m to 5 p.m.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications should include all relevant work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume or curriculum vitae (CV). We strongly encourage applicants to have their cover letter and resume/CV as one document when applying for positions at the University of Kansas. Once you have completed the application form, you will have the opportunity to attach other documentation in the "My Career Tools" page of the Careers Homepage.
***When completing the application, please make sure to hit NEXT on the right side of each page until it is no longer available before hitting SUBMIT. Once you hit the SUBMIT button you can make no further changes to the application.
Please click the "Apply Now" link on this job posting to proceed with the online application. If you have any questions during the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 864-4946.
The University of Kansas - Lawrence, University of Kansas Medical Center, the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita and its affiliated locations are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
Arrangements will be made if you have a disability that requires an accommodation in completing the application form or in interviewing. Please notify Human Resources at (785) 864-4946 in advance so necessary arrangements can be made.